Here are a few pieces of advice for keeping your divorce and parenting through divorce rightfully separated:
1. When spending time with your child, don’t speak negatively about your former spouse.
2. Do not argue with your ex in your child’s presence, and especially avoid arguing when talking about the child.
Make sure you always arrive for visitations on time and consistently.
3. Avoid talking about financial or legal issues when your child is present.
4. Your child shouldn’t be responsible for passing information between you and your former spouse.
5. Along with not using your children as a messenger, don’t ask them to spy on your ex-spouse. This includes any inquiries about your ex’s dating status.
6. Don’t prevent your child from seeing their other parent as a way to punish your former spouse.
7. Avoid telling your child they can decide who to live with after the divorce.
8. Make sure your children know the separation isn’t their fault and both parents will always love and support them.
9. Make sure you always arrive for visitations on time and consistently, as children get very disappointed if you miss a scheduled visit. Make your children a priority!
10. Schedule meaningful activities during your custodial time, and take interest in the children’s schoolwork and extracurricular activities.