What is Divorce Mediation?
- Divorce mediation is a way to resolve divorce or custody disputes that allows you the ability to control the outcome. In mediation, the only people making decisions are those involved in the dispute, unlike arbitration or litigation, where a judge or an arbitrator make the final decision.
- Divorce mediation and custody mediation typically consist of several joint meetings between spouses that last several hours each. During those meetings, the parties discuss the issues that need to be resolved in the case.
Divorce mediation is a way to resolve divorce or custody disputes that allows you the ability to control the outcome.
What Role Does the Mediator Play?
- The mediator is there to facilitate the discussion, assist with communication, and provide information and suggestions. He or she will also use specialized training to help you and your spouse resolve your differences.
- The mediator will also draft an agreement that is fair to both of you, and if you have children, has their best interests in mind.
Who is Best Suited for Mediation?
- With the right commitment, mediation can work for all divorcing couples or parents with custody conflicts. While cooperating couples may choose mediation from the onset, families with high-conflict divorces can benefit from divorce mediation as well. Because litigation encourages acrimony and conflict, it’s actually the high-conflict divorces that can benefit the most from mediation.
- Mediation aims at reducing tension, not increasing it. With the help of a mediator, couples negotiate their own settlement and learn the techniques for resolving future differences.
- Mediation is for couples who want to retain control over the decisions that affect their lives and don’t want their children caught in the middle.
Areas of Mediation
Typically mediation covers the following areas:
- Child Custody and Parenting Plan
- Property Division
- Support including:
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Family Support
Allow the experienced and compassionate family law attorneys from Bohm Wildish assist you with all of your mediation needs and concerns.